What Are the Benefits of Taking CBD Daily?
If you’ve been reading our blog, you’ve probably seen the article in which we talk about the benefits of CBD oil for your skin. But have you ever wondered what would happen if you were to take CBD daily? How would it affect your overall health and wellbeing? This is exactly what we’ll talk about in this article.
In the following paragraphs, we’ll discuss how CBD affects our endocannabinoid system (ECS), the system responsible for maintaining homeostasis (balance) in the body, and explore how consistent CBD usage may affect sleep, overall health, psychological ailments, and more.
The ECS and CBD
As we mentioned above, the ECS (Endocannabinoid System) is a biological system made up of a network of cannabinoid receptors, endocannabinoids, and enzymes that all work to maintain homeostasis in the body. As a vital system, it helps regulate essential processes in the body, such as mood, the immune and anti-inflammatory response, appetite, sleep, stress, and others.
When the body recognizes a stressor, the ECS is activated. The enzymes produce endocannabinoids that work as neurotransmitters in the body. After attaching to the cannabinoid receptors, these neurotransmitters begin transmitting information to help the body restore balance. These cannabinoid receptors, also known as CB1 and CB2, are responsible for sending these signals. After the balance has been restored, the endocannabinoids are broken down by the enzymes to prevent them from sending additional signals.
CBD mainly interacts with the CB1 receptor and prevents THC from fully attaching to this receptor and causing unwanted side effects, such as paranoia and anxiety. It can also prevent the breakdown of the endocannabinoids since it inhibits the enzymes that destroy these endocannabinoids. So, what effects can you expect if you consume this cannabinoid daily?
Why Do People Take CBD?
CBD may help you achieve your long-term health goals as it helps give our bodies what they need to mitigate some of the micro stressors that we come across each day. Whether that’s being stuck in traffic, constantly working overtime, not sleeping enough, navigating multiple roles during the day (employee, partner, parent, etc.), or living with anxiety, our body is constantly under some stress. These stress triggers affect our ECS much more than one may think as they activate the fight or flight response inside our bodies. While this state was essential for our survival in more primitive times, these stressors often result in ECS disruption and decreased quality of life when they are consistently experienced in today’s world.
When it is out of sync, the ECS cannot regulate its essential functions properly because the stress hormones adrenaline and cortisol are released and deplete the endocannabinoids. As a result, our sleep, mood, hormones, immune function, and other processes in our body are dysregulated. Here is where daily use of CBD may help.
The Benefits of Taking CBD Daily
When you take CBD every day and you adjust the serving size according to your personal needs, it may have a lot of potential benefits. Let’s see some examples.
With daily use of CBD, people may help their ECS run more smoothly, which in turn could positively affect their sleep, mood, and metabolism. Some people say that daily use of CBD helps them reduce mental strain and cope better with their daily stress due to its relaxing effects that help the body stay balanced (in homeostasis).
Since each body is different, the effects of daily CBD use will vary from person to person. Some people may experience the benefits when applying CBD topically to sore places on the body as it may reduce soreness, and thus allow them to get outside to play with their kids more, or participate in their favorite sport again.
Others may find that CBD helps them calm down and feel less anxious about their day, and with that sense of calm, they are able to focus and think more clearly, thus likely performing better at work or simply being more present in their everyday lives. Being more present in our everyday lives is something that we can all strive for.
What to Remember
Regardless of your specific case and why you’d like to give CBD a try, there are a few things to keep in mind:
- Since there aren’t specific guidelines on serving sizes for CBD that are recommended federally, consuming CBD and figuring out the right serving size for you will be a journey. It’s always best to start with a lower serving and increase it gradually until you achieve the desired results.
- The period of time that CBD lingers in the body can vary. The effects of some products may wear off after only 4 hours, while the effects of others may be experienced during the whole day.
- You can’t expect to have the same effects as your friend after consuming CBD. Your weight, metabolism, and the type of product you consume can all influence how you feel afterward. While consuming too much CBD won’t give you intoxicating effects, you may feel more sleepy or “extra relaxed” than usual, so it’s best to get the right serving size for your needs.
- CBD isn’t a cure, nor is it the only thing you need. CBD is more of a vehicle to give our bodies what it needs. When our body gets what it needs, it can function properly. When our body functions properly, it can take care of itself. So while CBD can help our body get there, it's not a substitute for bad eating, or not having those important conversations with family and friends that we need to.
Even though more research is necessary when it comes to the effects of CBD on the body when taking it daily, the available research shows that the benefits of taking CBD are plentiful.
If you do decide to start taking CBD on a daily basis, we have a few tips for you:
- Talk to a licensed physician if you plan on taking CBD with other medications
- Use high-quality CBD products ONLY that come with COAs, organic CBD is best
- Make sure that the products are third-party lab tested
- Adjust the CBD serving based on your personal needs
- Ask questions to a knowledgeable person from the brand or store you are buying from if you are unsure of which product to take